Are Moth Balls Toxic To Dogs

Moth balls are a popular household item used to keep clothes and other fabrics safe from moth damage. However, many pet owners have been wondering if these small balls of chemicals could be toxic to their furry friends. In particular, dog owners are concerned about the potential dangers that mothballs can pose to their beloved pets.

So, are moth balls toxic to dogs? The answer is yes. Moth balls contain a chemical called naphthalene, which is highly toxic to dogs and other animals. When ingested, naphthalene can cause serious health problems such as liver damage, anemia, and even death.

As a responsible pet owner, it’s important to take precautions to ensure that your dog doesn’t come into contact with mothballs. Here are some things you need to know about how mothballs can affect your dog’s health:

Symptoms of Mothball Poisoning in Dogs

If you suspect that your dog has ingested mothballs or has been exposed to them for an extended period of time, it’s important to watch out for the following symptoms:

– Vomiting
– Diarrhea
– Loss of appetite
– Lethargy
– Weakness
– Breathing difficulties
– Seizures
– Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes)
– Blood in urine or stool

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog after they have been exposed to mothballs, seek veterinary attention immediately.

Preventing Mothball Poisoning in Dogs

The best way to prevent mothball poisoning in dogs is by keeping them away from these toxic substances. Here are some tips on how to do this:

See also  why is my dogs skin turning black

1. Store mothballs safely: Keep mothballs stored in a secure location where your dog cannot access them. Make sure they are kept in their original packaging and are not placed near food or treats.

2. Use alternative methods for pest control: There are many natural and chemical-free ways to keep moths away from your clothes and fabrics. Consider using cedar chips, lavender sachets, or electronic pest control devices instead of mothballs.

3. Keep an eye on your dog: If you suspect that your dog has ingested mothballs or has been exposed to them in any way, watch out for symptoms of poisoning and seek veterinary attention immediately.

4. Educate yourself: Make sure you know the signs and symptoms of mothball poisoning in dogs so that you can act quickly if necessary.


In conclusion, moth balls are toxic to dogs and should be kept out of their reach at all times. If you suspect that your dog has ingested mothballs or has been exposed to them in any way, seek veterinary attention immediately. Prevention is key when it comes to keeping your pets safe from harmful substances like naphthalene. So, make sure you take the necessary precautions to keep your furry friends healthy and happy.