Are Begonias Poisonous To Dogs

Begonias are a popular flowering plant that comes in a variety of colors and shapes. Many people love to add begonias to their gardens or homes to add some color and vibrancy to their space. However, if you have a furry friend at home, you may be wondering whether begonias are poisonous to dogs. In this article, we will explore the answer to this question and provide you with all the information you need to keep your pet safe.

What Are Begonias?

Before we dive into the topic of whether begonias are poisonous to dogs, let’s take a closer look at what begonias are. Begonias are a type of flowering plant that belongs to the family Begoniaceae. They come in various shapes, sizes, and colors, ranging from small indoor plants to large outdoor shrubs.

Begonias are native to tropical and subtropical regions around the world. They grow best in warm climates with plenty of sunlight and well-draining soil. Many gardeners love begonias because they can add an array of colors and textures to their gardens.

Are Begonias Poisonous To Dogs?

Now that we have established what begonias are let’s answer the question at hand – Are begonias poisonous to dogs? The short answer is yes; begonias are toxic to dogs. All parts of the plant contain oxalates, which can cause irritation or burning sensations on contact with the skin or mucous membranes.

If your dog ingests any part of the begonia plant, it can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, difficulty swallowing, and abdominal pain. These symptoms could be mild or severe depending on how much your dog has consumed and their size.

See also  what is the dog doing

While many people assume that only certain types of plants are toxic to dogs, it is essential to remember that even common household plants like begonias can be harmful. It is always best to err on the side of caution and keep your furry friend away from any plants that could cause them harm.

What To Do If Your Dog Ingests Begonias

If you suspect that your dog has ingested begonias or any other toxic plant, it is crucial to act quickly. The first thing you should do is contact your veterinarian immediately. They will be able to advise you on the next steps to take based on the severity of your dog’s symptoms.

In some cases, if your dog has only ingested a small amount of begonias, they may not exhibit any symptoms at all. However, it is still important to monitor them closely for any signs of discomfort or illness.

How To Keep Your Dog Safe From Toxic Plants

Now that we know that begonias are toxic to dogs let’s discuss how to keep our furry friends safe from other poisonous plants. Here are some tips:

– Research: Before adding any new plants to your home or garden, do some research to ensure that they are safe for pets. You can find a list of toxic and non-toxic plants on websites like the ASPCA.

– Keep Plants Out Of Reach: Make sure that any plants that are toxic to dogs are out of reach. This means keeping them off tables, window sills, and other surfaces that your furry friend can access.

See also  how to remove skin tag on dog

– Supervision: Supervise your dog when they are outside in the yard or on walks. Dogs love to explore and sniff around, so it is crucial to keep an eye on them and prevent them from eating anything harmful.


In conclusion, begonias are poisonous to dogs, and it is essential to keep them away from these plants at all times. If your dog does ingest begonias or any other toxic plant, contact your veterinarian immediately for advice. Remember to research new plants before introducing them into your home or garden and supervise your furry friend to ensure their safety. With these precautions in mind, you can keep your dog safe and healthy while enjoying the beauty of plants.